I guess the look I'm best known for is 'Blue Steel'.

The Blog of CCJAD

Related Articles


Related Article Widget by Hoctro

A job at Game...

Friday, August 08, 2008 by Chris Brown

...and why you should never, ever get one.

Out of the (in theory) five of us that write this blog, three of us have worked or are currently working at everyone's favourite UK video games store, the inspirationally named GAME.



Now, I dunno about Calum and Ally's experience, but for anyone with a keen interest in games, this could well be one of the circles of hell. Let me tell you why...

1. Managers who don't have a clue - for the love of God, learn something about the product you're paid to sell. Also, show your face on the shop floor every now and again. It doesn't take five hours to draw up an 8-man rota a week in advance, you're not fooling anyone.

2. Customers who, also, don't have a clue - Example: 'I'm looking for a game for my son, but I don't know what it's called.' 'Okay, what system is it for?' 'System? I don't know anything about these things!' '...buy a gift card.' Yes, this sounds petty, parent's can't be expected to keep up with all the constantly changing technology, but if you're coming in for a specific game, please check what it is.

3. Head Office - Here's a short list of things that regularly go wrong in stores because of head office: Tills crash when swiping a gift card. Not enough posters to be put on display. Display prices sent in Euros rather than Pounds. Not enough pre-order games sent in. Games sent in which we are no longer allowed to sell. This is all from the people that are meant to make our jobs easier?

4. Self-entitled customers - We're a corporate store, no, I cannot lower the price on that Wii for you. I really don't care if you have a better deal somewhere else, just go buy it there. Please, don't look offended when you're not getting £30 back Halo 1. It's far from ridiculous, the game kinda sucks.

5. The general rudeness of the public - Most likely just a side-effect of our town, but till I started working in this store, I had never before realised just how rude the average population member is. Part of my laughable job description is to greet customers when they enter the store, and 9 times out of 10, you're completely ignored. I understand that people don't want games shoved down their throat as soon as they get in, but pretending you didn't hear a polite greeting is just plain rude. I'd go on about customers deciding that I know less than most mothballs, and that being a 'shop boy' means it's okay to belittle your intellect and just generally be rude as you damn well please, but I think you get the idea.

Now, I'll be honest here, despite all these complaints, there are times when the job is genuinely enjoyable - you get customers that know their stuff, and you can chat to them and have a bit of a laugh. All the sales assistant level employees in my store are a good laugh, and you tend to be able to relax a bit when the managers are taking days off whenever they feel like. However, between the relentless barrage of targets you're expected to meet, and the sheer audacity of some customers, it really can suck the life out of you.

Oh, and one more thing. WE DO NOT HAVE WII FIT. That is all.

Filed under , having  

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post man. I can totally relate to it. You should rename A Job at HMV or GAME...
:P